the BCEO as the new Butler County Engineer after a two and a
half year stint as Executive Director of Butler County's Transportation
Improvement District. Employed at the Engineer's Office
since 1973, Greg worked in several departments providing him
with a wide background and solid foundation upon which to build
his career. Eventually Greg became the BCEO's Manager of Development
Services in which he was responsible for reviewing residential,
industrial, and commercial plans, was instrumental in the planning
and coordination of major new road construction, and coordinated
the development of the Butler County Thoroughfare Plan. While
with the BCEO he was recognized by the Butler County Commissioners
for his excellent work in advising the Planning and Zoning Commission
and was instrumental in building alliances with public officials
from township trustees to Federal Highway officials.
Greg left the Engineer's
Office in 1998 to manage the Butler County Transportation Improvement
District (TID) where he oversaw the construction of $200 million
in projects during his brief tenure. This constituted the largest
highway building campaign in the County for any two-year period
and included construction of the Butler County Veterans Highway
(Ohio 129) as well as development of the roadway network around
the new Union Centre Boulevard in bustling West Chester Township.
Under Greg's leadership, the TID received one International award,
two State awards, plus four National awards for innovation in
construction management, environmental preservation and mitigation,
and quality construction.
Some of the organizations
with which Greg is currently affiliated include professional
memberships in the American Society of Highway Engineers and
the National Society of Professional Engineers, the Ohio-Indiana-Kentucky
Regional Council of Governments, the Butler County Township Association,
the Fairfield and Hamilton Chambers of Commerce, West Chester
Chamber Alliance, the Chamber of Commerce serving Middletown-Trenton-Monroe,
the Hamilton Vision 20/20 Committee, and the Greater Hamilton
Safety Council Board of Directors.
The BCEO, under Greg's
leadership, is also a member of the following: Butler County
Transportation Improvement District Board, Butler County Land
Use Coordinating Committee Board and Steering Committee, the
County Engineer's Association of Ohio, all local Chambers of
Commerce (Greater Hamilton, Fairfield, West Chester, Middletown,
and Oxford), Butler County Data Processing Board; Butler County
Tourism Council, Butler County Township Association, and the
Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments.
Greg is a 1971 graduate
of Stephen T. Badin High School in Hamilton, received an A.S.
Degree in Civil Engineering Technology from Cincinnati Technical
College, and graduated Cum Laude from Miami University with a
Bachelor of Science in Engineering.
A resident of Butler
county since he was five years old, Greg resides in Fairfield
with his wife and has two grown children. He has been an active
part of the community, having served on the Fairfield High School
Strategic Planning Committee, coached youth baseball, soccer,
and wrestling, and is a member of Sacred Heart Church.
OF THE OFFICE OF COUNTY ENGINEER IN OHIO
The office of County
Engineer evolved from the important role played by the County
Surveyor in the first decades of Ohio's statehood.
As early as 1785, Ohio
served as a "laboratory" for the development of the
Public Lands survey system. Well into the 1800s, the County Surveyor
was charged with the tremendous task of clarifying land titles
and boundaries. After 1820, a movement for "internal improvements"
swept through the state and County Surveyors became increasingly
involved in transportation related projects, specifically, in
the development of canals and roads. By the late 19th century,
the major duty of the County Surveyor was the building and maintenance
of roads, bridges, and drainage ditches.
The office of County
Surveyor was established by the first General Assembly following
the admission of Ohio to the Union in 1803. Whenever a new county
was created, the County Surveyor, Recorder, Prosecuting Attorney,
and Clerk were appointed by a common court of appeals, which
itself was appointed by the legislature. County Surveyors were
paid only a per diem wage ($5 in the late 1800s) for those
days when they were actually employed.
In 1831, the legislature
voted to make the office elective because of the increased responsibilities
it entailed. The law stated the County Surveyor would serve a
term of three years, "if he so long behave well and until
his successor be elected and qualified." Legislation passed
in 1915 established a salary and conferred on the County Surveyor
the title of "Resident Engineer for the State Highway Department."
In 1928, the term of office was lengthened from three years to
four. Then on August 30, 1935, the title was changed to "County
Today, only persons
who hold registration certification of the State of Ohio as both
"Registered Professional Engineer"
and "Registered Professional Surveyor"
may qualify for the office of County Engineer. The elected County
Engineer is sworn to "perform for the county all duties
authorized or declared by law to be done by a Civil Engineer
or Surveyor." Although specifically exempt from engineering
duties affecting public buildings, he is the engineer for all
public improvements under the authority of the board of commissioners
within and for the county.